Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Morning Musings - Book Review

So I finished reading The Chase by Clive Cussler last night.  It was a great read!  Cussler is one of my favorite authors because he puts the right amount of action, romance and comedy in his writing without it being too risque or vulgar. 

The Chase is part of a new series (I think.  It's what I heard; although it seemed like the author left it open to either way.  It could stand alone or be a part of a series).  There's a new main character who was suspiciously similar to Dirk Pitt (a main character in another of Cusslers' series) for the first few chapters, but then he got his own identity about mid-way through the book.  The similarity didn't really bother me too much.  I liked reading the adventures of Dirk Pitt.

There was one slightly inappropriate scene, but it was sort of like an edited movie.  You know what happened, but didn't see--or rather, read--it.  I appreciated that.  And since the novel is set in the early 20th century West, there was a lot of gun slinging, but nothing that bothered me.

Probably the most surprising thing for me in the book was that the author made a very positive reference to Salt Lake City and the Mormons!  That almost never happens!  When we--the Mormons, or members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--show up in books, we're often portrayed as strange and secretive.  Not so in this book!

I really enjoyed reading The Chase by Clive Cussler and look forward to more of his great action and adventure novels!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the recommendation, i love to read and am always looking for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are fast readers! It must have been good!!!

    ReplyDelete