Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite Games

This week will be quick and easy, but fun!  This week's top ten in no particular order is...

 
My Favorite Games
  1. Yahtzee Free For All.  Much more fun than regular Yahtzee.  There are cards (with the regular Yahtzee combinations) and chips for you to go for, and you can steal your opponents' cards too!

  2. Carcassonne.  A great tile laying game.  Derek and I love to play this one, but have had some trouble finding others who love it just as much as we do.  I think it might because there are a million pieces and it's really complicated at first.   Maybe someday...

  3. Blokus Duo.  I've played regular Blokus and got really confused with the size of the board and number of different colors in the game.  Blokus Duo only has two players--and therefore two colors--and a cute mini board.  It's fun and relatively quick.

  4. 5 Crown, Sets and Runs, Mormon Bridge...  These are all games that we play with Rook cards which makes it easier.  Bring one set of cards and you've got three or more games! (Note to reader: the link for Mormon Bridge goes to a page on Wikipedia with some profanity.  Evidently most people have given this game some colorful names!  But the instructions and rule variations are excellent.  Just don't scroll down to "alternative names."  You'll be sorry!)

  5. Othello.  I stink at this game... unless I'm playing the computer on it's least intelligent mode.  Then I kick butt!

  6. Alchemy.  This is one of those solo, wasting-time-on-the-computer games.  I love it!

  7. Backgammon.  Again, I stink at this game too... unless I'm playing the computer on it's least intelligent mode. 

  8. Scrabble.  This game was a life saver in Korea.  Most all of our students either loved this game, or at least preferred it to studying.  I used it all the time as a bribe.  And since we were in the English words mode, Derek and I would often play it at home, too!

  9. Mario Party.  I am a Mario super fan!  Mario Party on the Wii is one of my favorites because it's so cute and a fun boardgame with tons of fun mini-games!

  10. Guitar Hero/Rockband 2.  I don't think I need to explain this one.  Anybody who's played either of these games love them!!!  Derek and I are so excited because we just unlocked all the songs on each game.




PS:  I want to add a shout-out to boardgamegeek.com!  I got most of my references through them and found that they have great ratings, suggestions, and summaries of almost any game!  Check them out!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness ... I love games, but haven't heard of half of those!!! Yahatzee is one of my favs, but I play the old way so I'll have to check on that recommendation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! My older son is going to learn how to play Carcassonne as part of our homeschool co-op this fall. It sounds like I need to learn how to play, too!

    ReplyDelete