Wednesday, July 2, 2008

About.com

I found a great resource for any kind of blogger! About.com has a whole slew of useful articles and tips on blogging. My favorite so far was the one for "blogger's block". Bloggers block, as they call it, I think has held me back from really blogging well. When I was in Korea, there was always something to write about. But now, life is back to normal and I'm running out of things to say. Although, I guess everybody's life is different, so there's no normal...

I also liked their "15 Tips to Increase Blog Traffic." Not that I'm trying to become a world famous blogger or anything, but they had some great ideas for anyone who wants to show up on search engines.

So now to implement the new knowledge I've learned from about.com's blogging section. Let's see if you all can figure out which new tools I'm using. Leave a comment if you think you know, or leave a comment just because!

5 NEW THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN

1. A foreign language -- probably Japanese, Korean (I know, I know, I lived there I should know it, but guess what, I don't) or maybe even Spanish. After being exposed to non indo-european languages, languages like Spanish, German, or French seem so tame!



2. Some sort of great physical feat -- something like a martial art. My husband did Tae-kwon-do back in the day. He was (and probaby still is, but won't show anybody including me) pretty amazing at it and enjoyed it. It seems like an enjoyable form of exercise; although I tend to loathe most forms of exercise.



3. Political Science -- of the whole world. I hate watching or reading the news and not knowing if I really agree or disagree with the coverage. I know enough about the foreign world to know that US media coverage is BIASED, big time. It's not always completely wrong, but it never tells the whole story, and the effects of that just leads to more dislike of America on the world scene. So I want to know more about International Political Science so I can be confident in my opinions.



4. Auto repair -- so I can fix my own car. I'm sick of feeling like I've been over charged for something, or that the mechanic has told me a load of bunk about what needs to be fixed. I don't know enough about cars to be able to argue with the guy if it's really necessary or not.



5. How to teach piano lessons -- I've posted about this before. I know how to play. I play pretty well, but I'm paralyzed at the idea of teaching someone else. It could be a great work from home opportunity for me; something I don't want to miss out on. Right at the moment we don't really have enough space in our house to house a piano. My parents are graciously letting my piano live at their house until we do, so teaching lessons is not in my very near future. But hopefully it will be, eventually. I guess that means that I definitely have time to learn this skill!


Alright, I'd like to hear your top 5 I-wanna-know lists. I tag Derek, Wendy, Rachel, Kim, Tanya, Jodi, and Heather. I also tag my mom, my aunt Sherri, and my Gma and Gpa McGrath. I know you guys don't have blogs, but leave your lists in a comment please! :)

3 comments:

  1. 1- Flyfishing
    2- More about computer hardware
    3- Furniture making/finish carpentry
    4- Golfing
    5- Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- Bird watching
    2- History/Geography
    3- Gardening in Idaho and the NW
    4- Photography
    5- iPhoto/iMovie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the things you would like to learn are pretty neat! I would like to learn a foreign language too!

    5 Things I would like to learn:
    1. How to make a really cute photo/blog book. - To be able to add all the layers to make it look like a cute scrapbook. I thought it would be easy - but I don't always like the pre-made templates that the book companies have. Are there any websites to help out with this?
    2. Flower Gardening - How to make your backyard a little paradise!
    3. Oil Painting
    4. How to digitally edit movies
    5. Music- How to sing well, or maybe how to play the cello

    Hope you are having a great day Rachel!

    ReplyDelete