Monday, November 10, 2008

Book of Mormon Mondays - Pride

Hmm, I think the Lord is trying to tell me something about pride and judgement.  Pride isn't something that I thought I had a huge problem with.  I mean, everybody has pride, but I guess I thought I had worse problems than that?  As for judgement I, like every woman out there, compare myself constantly to others.  I know that's bad, but I thought... well... never mind what I thought.  I guess the Lord is showing me who really knows! 

This is the second insight (or more accurately, personal revelation) about pride.  The second insight out of three that I think I've ever gotten out of reading the scriptures my entire life!  Honestly, I've never been a very insightful scripture reader.

Alma 9:12-17
 12 Behold, now I say unto you that he commandeth you to repent; and except ye repent, ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. But behold, this is not all—he has commanded you to repent, or he will utterly adestroy you from off the face of the earth; yea, he will visit you in his banger, and in his cfierce anger he will not turn away.
  13 Behold, do ye not remember the words which he spake unto Lehi, saying that: aInasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper in the land? And again it is said that: Inasmuch as ye will not keep my commandments ye shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord.
  14 Now I would that ye should remember, that inasmuch as the Lamanites have not kept the commandments of God, they have been acut off from the presence of the Lord. Now we see that the word of the Lord has been verified in this thing, and the Lamanites have been cut off from his presence, from the beginning of their transgressions in the land.
  15 Nevertheless I say unto you, that it shall be more atolerable for them in the day of judgment than for you, if ye remain in your sins, yea, and even more tolerable for them in this life than for you, except ye repent.
  16 For there are many promises which are aextended to the Lamanites; for it is because of the btraditions of their fathers that caused them to remain in their state of cignorance; therefore the Lord will be merciful unto them and dprolong their existence in the land.
  17 And at some period of time they will be abrought to believe in his word, and to know of the incorrectness of the traditions of their fathers; and many of them will be saved, for the Lord will be merciful unto all who bcall on his name.

To me, this scripture is telling me that I should not judge unwisely.  I should repent of my own sins and not even think about anybody elses, and NOT COMPARE MYSELF TO ANYONE ELSE!  Easier said than done right?

Everyone has their own reasons for doing (or not doing) what they do.  I don't know those reasons.  Only the Lord does.

The Nephites and Lamanites had a common beginning.  At one point, they all had access to the same information, the same teachings.  After a long time, the decendents of Laman and Lemuel fell away "because of the traditions of their fathers."  Their decendents had no control over what their ancestors did, and the decendents of Nephi had no right to hold that against them.

That lesson can be applied to so many things in our lives; in our families, in our wards, in our stakes, and beyond.  We are all taught basically the same thing at church and in our homes, how we all take those teachings and use them in our lives is different. 


3 comments:

  1. I struggle with comparing myself to others as well. It's hard to realize how it can be prideful, when we're usually doing it because we feel everyone is better than us, but it isn't recognizing our own gifts and talents which come from the Lord, and surprisingly, that is pride! Funny. Thanks for your thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're on to something. I've noticed that when I compare, then I make judgments to justify myself, then I bring up that barrier of pride that distances me from them and destroys unity. Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent comments ladies! Thanks! And I'll definitely check out those links!

    ReplyDelete