Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cruise Day 3

Nov. 12th Cozumel, Mexico

We docked in Cozumel early in the morning, but we woke up with barely enough time to get breakfast!  We had planned to meet the brothers in the Windjammer (a buffet), but we must have passed them coming down as we went up.  They all had excursions so they were off early.

Since we hadn't planned anything for the day, we took it easy lounging around on the boat and took a few pictures of Cozumel from the boat.


 



Then we wandered down around the dock to the shops.  Most of the more serious shopping was to be found a few minutes away, but we would have had to spend a little extra on a taxi and we figured they'd have about the same touristy stuff near the docks so we stuck around there.

We found some cool stuff!  Derek started a collection of masks.  We got our first one in Korea.  At first, I thought it was ugly, but the more I think about it, the less ugly it gets.  At one of the kiosks, a seller was selling a variety of colorful Mayan masks.  She told us that they retailed for $60 but she would give us a deal for $45.  After bargaining a bit, we still thought it was too expensive so we started to walk off.  She called out after us telling us to come back and that she would sell one to us for $30.  A much better deal.

We also got a Mayan and Aztec circley thing.  I think it's a calendar?  I'm not sure, but it looks cool.  And we got a cute little Nativity scene.  Good stuff!!

 
 


While I was waiting for Derek looking at something, a guy came up to me with a beautiful parrot!  He transferred the parrot to my arm, SO COOL!  Then he took the parrot off my arm and then laid it in my hand like a baby then walked a little ways off.  I was just standing there holding the bird in my hand.  After a bit the bird starting air cycling, so I gave it back to the man.  We tried to take a picture of me holding the bird, but the guy told us that it was $5 to take a picture!!!  Way too expensive, so we didn't take one.

 
 

Enjoying a cool lemonade while we waited for the others to get back
We met up with Daryn and Becca, and Doug and Melanie and went swimming on the ship.  I wasn't too excited about getting in the pool.  It was a little cold and I still had my make-up on, but it was nice to cool off after getting all sweaty shopping.

Once Becca heard that we got a Nativity scene for a good price, she wanted one too so we all went back ashore to look for more and t-shirts.  It was fun going shopping again with them!

 
 
Derek with a cool mariachi band.  Did I spell that right?

We got back on board just in time put away our treasures and get ready for dinner.  Derek had fun posing with his new mask.  He was so excited to get it!!!

 
Dinner was great as always.  The food is amazing and I am starting to understand how much fun it would have been to grow up in the large Cheney family.  And only 4 of the brothers were there!  There's 6 of them!!!  Our big, round table was perfect for conversation.
After dinner was another show.  This time it was better.  The Platters, with an original member Herb Reed, came to perform.  They were great!  We were all shocked with how OLD Herb Reed was!  I mean, he had to have been because the Platters' first hit was back in the 50s and he has been a member from the get go.  They sang a lot of their old hits along with some from the temptations.  Great performance.
Again, my memory is a little fuzzy on what we did after the show.  Probably played some games like Backgammon or shuffleboard.  Does anyone remember specifically?
Tomorrow: Belize City

No comments:

Post a Comment