Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Today, I defeated my enemy!

You all will laugh at me for my sillyness by the end of this post.  I am a wuss.  There I said it.  A complete wuss.

I try to walk to my parents house each morning.  And I fail completely for two, no three, reasons.  One, I'm lazy in the mornings.  I like to sleep.  Therefore I don't usually have time.  Two, I make excuses easily.  It's too cold to walk, or it's too hot, too windy, too sunny, too wet... You get the picture.  But the biggest, most embarrassing reason I don't walk is because of a stupid, shrimpy dog.

This dog, I swear, tracks me down.  Only me.  Nobody else.  And then he "chases" me.  He howls, barks, and growls as he runs after me.  His legs are I think 3 inches tall so when I'm walking, he has to run.  Plus he's right at my heels.  It's not that I'm scared of dogs.  I just don't like a dog I don't know "chasing" me and barking.  What's he going to do?

So usually, I avoid walking to my parents house because he can find me on almost every route I've found to get there.  I thought I had found one that was relatively safe, but as of today, it's not.

I don't know why his (I'm going to call it a he because I think of boy dogs as meaner than girl dogs) owners don't keep him penned up or on a leash or something!  Not that they have to coop him up in a kennel, but come on, every house in that neighborhood has a back yard!

Anyways, today as I was walking, I saw him about a block and a half away.  He saw/smelled me and came running.  At first, I got really nervous and thought about running away.  But then I remembered what Caesar always says, "calm, assertive energy" and "own your space."

So I stopped, faced him exuding calm and assertive energy, and told him to "go home!" And then pretended like he wasn't there.  I owned my space yo!  The dumb dog kept barking for a couple more minutes and a couple cars drove past us and I'm sure they were wondering what I was doing.  After a little while, he quit barking and I walked on, owning my space along the road.

I looked back after I got a ways down the road and he was still there, standing in the same place but NOT barking.  When I got to the corner, I looked back again and he was gone.

So yay for me!  And now you can all laugh because the dumb dog was a basset hound.  One of the least threatening dogs on the planet!



And for the record, this is not the dog that was chasing me. I found this pitiful pooch picture on wikipedia.org.

1 comment:

  1. HILARIOUS Rachel. I love that story. I could picture the whole thing. Way to own your space girl!! lol. I'll be interested to know if he bothers you again or if he got the message :)

    ReplyDelete