Friday, September 11, 2009

A Way Back Wednesday, Thankful Thursday and Friday Finds All in One!

It's been another one of those weeks. I just haven't gotten the gumption up to posting.  I'll blame it on being almost done with being pregnant (yay!!).

But today, I have a treat.  A three in one.  Well, it's a treat to me.  How often can a blogger combine a story from your past, a thankful thought and a bunch of great links?  Not very often, but with today being 9-11, I think I've found a way.  So here it goes. 

-------------------------------------


Way Back Wednesday
On September 11, 2001, I was sitting in Mr. Rush's AP Environmental Science class.  It was my senior year in high school.  I remember Mr. Rush being a bit late so we all happily chatted until he got there.  Once he did arrive in class, I could tell something was really bothering him.  He had a very serious look on his face and he was usually a pretty easy going kind of guy. 

After we all quieted down, he somberly announced what had happened in NYC and that there was a huge fire in D.C. (which turned out to be a rumor).  At that point, only one plane had hit.  Like every other American that morning, we were shocked and scared.  We were all so upset that we decided not to do any studying that day.  How could we concentrate when we felt like our world was coming to an end?  We had no idea what was really going on out there.

Most of the rest of our classes that day were like that.  The library had the news playing on their TVs.  I remember one of my friends told us about seeing the coverage of both towers falling while she was in the library.  She was shocked and really, really upset.  She said something like, "I can't believe I just watched 1000s of people die!"  It was a really horrible day at school.

-------------------------------------

Thankful Thursday 

With 9-11 happening this week, I've been reminded of how grateful I am to be American, and to live in America.  I'm grateful that even when horrible things happen, our country can pick itself back up and keep moving.  Being an American, it's hard to imagine what life's like for other people in countries with less freedom.  Freedom is so natural for us.  I appreciate that. 

-------------------------------------

Friday Finds

Here are a few 9-11 related links I found this week.  Each of them has a slightly different take.  Enjoy!

Nine Eleven, The Pioneer Woman.  Sort of a then and now post.  I love her writing!

9-11 Quilt that Traveled the World, The School of Good Enough.  I have known this blogger for years.  She's an excellent quilter.  And she doesn't just make regular quilts.  She is a quilt artist!

Patriot Day, Cake Wrecks.  This post is a little more on the humorous side--as you would expect with Cake Wrecks--which might sound like a bad thing on such a serious day.  But I enjoyed it.

Remembering 9/11, A Thrifty Mom.  A traditional 9-11 memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment