Monday, January 12, 2009

Book of Mormon Mondays - Emphasis

I was struck with how much more meaning this verse had to me when I added a little ownership emphasis on some pronouns and verbs.

Alma 32:23
23 And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall aplant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, bspringing up in you unto ceverlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your dburdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye ewill. Amen.
Alma is teaching the poor Zoramites who thought that they couldn't pray because they weren't allowed to pray in the churches they helped to build.  This is last verse in the chapter and he is summing up his main point to his sermon.

First he tells them that he desires that they plant the word in their hearts.  He's not going to force them to do or believe anything.  He wants them to have the blessings of the gospel.  To me, when the word desires is used correctly, it is a kind and gentle word.

Second, I put some emphasis on "ye shall plant..." and "by your faith."  For me that reinforced that we have to plant the seed ourselves.  No one else can do it, and you can't live on anyone else's testimony.  We can't be lazy.

And finally the emphasis on "And even all this can ye do if ye will."  I read this in two ways.  First, "will" meaning if we will actually do it.  Things don't happen if we just sit around and wait.  We have to make the effort.  We're told that sometimes, all we have to do is ask righteously!  And second, "will" meaning if we want to choose this course of action (and then actually acting on our desires).  No one is forcing us.  It's our choice.

2 comments: