Friday, January 9, 2009

Thankful Thursday

I know, it's not really Thursday.  "Thankful Thursday" has come and gone and I didn't even notice!    We've been so busy and pre-occupied with PJ's wedding, reception on Saturday, Derek's birthday on Sunday, and my mom's new MS related symptom!  Things are getting interesting around here!

But I don't want to dwell on that.  Let's talk about what I'm thankful for. 

I'm grateful that my brother got married in the temple. 

Ever since my brother and my now sister-in-law got engaged, there's been a lot of talk about the whole young love situation.  We were all pretty surprised that they got engaged so young and frankly, were a little disappointed that my brother didn't go on a mission first.  He would have been an excellent one!

So I'm afraid that our qualms about their engagement and future kind of put a damper on the build up to their wedding day.  I remember how excited life seemed when I was engaged, and it seemed like everyone around me was as well.  I'm sorry to say that it didn't feel quite the same for my brother.  But then again, maybe it was just me.

About a month or two before the wedding, our Gospel Principles teacher taught me quite a lesson (I doubt that it was directed specifically at me.  We were having a class discussion.)  Basically he suggested that we as a Mormon culture put too much importance on our young men going on a mission and not enough on getting married in the temple.  To the point it feeling like a mission is necessary for salvation!  When really when given the two choices, going on a mission and not getting married in the temple, or not going on a mission and getting married in the temple, the latter is clearly better!  It was a personal revelation, ah-ha moment for me!

So I am truly grateful that my brother and his wife were both worthy and willing to get married in the temple!  It's really been a great blessing in my life and I'm glad that it will be in their's too!

PS:  And in no way am I saying that a mission isn't important and that boys should start deciding that they don't want to go so they can get married sooner.  I'm not saying that at all.  Missions are important.  Most boys need them.  And it's great for girls too!

2 comments:

  1. I think thats one of the harder lessons we have to learn in the church. That lots of thing, like missions, are necessary for most people but not for everyone. I think in situations like PJ's it is especially difficult. Good for you for being a loving sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you there. A lot of young men that choose not to go on missions also don't meet and fall in love with a girl. They usually just go to school or do nothing. A mission for many motivates YM of that age to get moving and do something. In your brother's case, it sounds like he did all of that on your own. There are opportunities for when he is older to go with his wife on a mission. Now that sounds fun!

    Okay, so I have been thinking about you a lot since this has happened with my mom because of you and your mom. Things are differnet but so the same. I would love to talk to you sometime about it and your feelings about it and what you have learned. So many people our ages just don't understand or will never have to go through it this young. Just something that life has dealt both of us. You have been so great and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete