Monday, January 19, 2009

Book of Mormon Mondays - Keeping the Commandments

Alma 36:1, 30
1 My son, give ear to my words; for I swear unto you, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land.

30 But behold, my son, this is not all; for ye ought to know as I do know, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and ye ought to know also, that inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence. Now this is according to his word.

Alma 37:13
13 O remember, remember, my son Helaman, how strict are the commandments of God. And he said: If ye will keep my commandments ye shall prosper in the land—but if ye keep not his commandments ye shall be cut off from his presence.

Alma 38:1
1 My son, give ear to my words, for I say unto you, even as I said unto Helaman, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence.

In each of these chapters, Alma is teaching his sons Helaman and Shiblon, and he says almost the exact same thing each time.  I guess he's a normal parent!

And I thought the wording was interesting.  He says when you keep the commandments you will "prosper in the land," a definite temporal benefit.  Then he says when you don't keep the commandments you will be "cut off from His presence."  Saying if you keep the commandments, you can be in his presence.  A definite spiritual benefit. 

What thoughts have you had as you've read the scritpures?

1 comment:

  1. Last night we were reading about Nephi seeing the destruction of his people and how it came from their desires for worldly things which in turn led to wars and fighting. It made me remember that when we are thinking of Christ we are a more peaceful people (person), and when we are focused on the world stupid things become so very important that we are willing to hurt others for them.

    ReplyDelete