Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Kind Customer Support

I've had some trouble getting my health insurance swapped.  Our insurance guy found us a less expensive quote, but wasn't able to cancel my first insurance policy through another company.  I didn't realize this until it was too late to cancel the first one, so now I have two policies covering me.  If anything should happen to me, it should happen now! :)

But having two policies is expensive $150+--we'll call them Policy #1 and Policy #2--so I've been trying to work out a solution.  When I called Policy #1, they said because the automatic withdraw thing had started, all I could do was a stop payment through my bank, a $25 fee.  Not too bad, $25 is better than $109.91!  So I did.  But when I checked my 'recent activity,' both the stop payment fee and the insurance charge had gone through.  I called the bank and they were so nice and friendly, but unable to help me other than to refund my $25!  Better than nothing.

So then I called Policy #2 to see if they could delay depositing my first month's check until February 1 and starting my coverage then.  They said they could do that, but would check to make sure everything would work out.  The nice, friendly woman came back and told me she would be happy to do that for me, but my premium would increase because rates will increase in February.  The total cost would be $15 more.  $15 X 11 months is $165.  Not worth saving the $109.91 this month.

She also suggested to check with Policy #1 to see if they had a loop hole for me in which if I proved I had other coverage (with Policy #2), Policy #1 could refund the overlapping month's premium.  I tried, but it didn't work.

Confusing much?  About half-way through, I was in tears because of frustration.  We don't have an extra $100!  But I made it through partly because of the people being friendly and kind. 

So there we are.  Nothing's any better than before--other than the bank refunding the useless stop payment fee--but I'm ok.  Things will all work out!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. So I gave you an award!!! Check out my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete