Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thankful Thursday - Good friends, Good Movies

This morning I am especially thankful for good friends who encourage me to watch good movies.  Derek and I have some friends who have a very conservative taste in movies.  And while their taste is different from ours, I understand and respect their decision to set conservative boundaries on what kinds of things they bring into their home.  In fact, I think it's awesome. 

Last night, Derek and I were hanging out at their house keeping the husband company while his wife and children were at his brother's house babysitting (She is one of the most charitable people I know, she was taking care of 7 children all by herself!). 

He is also a charitable person.  He was willing at the drop of a hat to fix a special present my brother had gotten used for his fiance.  I won't write what it is per chance she happens to read this.  But suffice it to say that it was fixed magnificently.  My brother and I were both surprised with how well the gift worked; it looked pretty beat up and worn. 

Anyways, after fixing the gift, showcasing our talents on the piano, and conversating for a while, he suggested we watch a movie, The Errand of Angels (which by the way, we watched on byutv.org.  You can watch past programming on their website.  I think the movie's still available if you'd like to see it).  My first, inner reaction was, "ugh... not another churchy movie." 

I haven't had too much luck with LDS themed movies.  The ones made by the Church are excellent, but some of the others haven't impressed me so much...  So I suggested another movie option that wasn't an LDS film.  But eventually we agreed to watch The Errand of Angels.

It was a great choice!  At first I wasn't too impressed with it.  The acting was a little overdone on the emotional parts, and some of it just seemed a little unrealistic.  But the more I think about the movie, the more I realized that I enjoyed it and want to watch it again!

The other option that I suggested was a foreign movie.  I think the reason why I enjoyed the movie so much was because it was almost foreign.  The main character in the movie was a sister missionary going to Austria.  I think that most of the actors were actually native speakers of German, and a lot of the movie was in German with English subtitles.  And it was good German!

So, a big thank you to my friend.  I would have missed out on a good movie without his suggestion!

3 comments:

  1. A guy in our ward in Provo(Christian Vuissa) totally made that movie! He's Austrian and his wife is German. She was my VTeacher! I have always wanted to see it, but it's not one of those movies you can just go rent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go watch it soon on byutv.org because they only keep programming on there for a week or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure that this is the same movie that Sister Blaisdell said that her niece was the main character.

    ReplyDelete