Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Way Back When Wednesday - Four Weeks Straight of Vacation

In the Summer of 2000, my family planned two big trips.  One to the mountains and one to the beach.  My grandparents would come, and we'd all have a grand time.

The only catch for me was they planned those vacations right after Girls Camp.  And when I say right after, I mean right after.  They came to pick me up from Girls Camp on the way to the mountain cabin, our first leg of the vacation.

I was so mad!  I wanted to shower and be presentable.  Girls Camp is a week long, live out doors, campfire every night, shower only if you have to place.  It's only girls and it's "roughing it," so no one really worried about hygene until they got home.

But I wasn't going home.  I was going directly into a car for a 3 hour drive to the mountains.  My parents suggested that I shower at a truck stop if I was really that desperate.  At a truck stop?!!!  I flatly  refused that one.  So I decided to make everyone as miserable as I could for that car ride and tried to make myself as stinky as I could.  I sprayed myself down with bug spray just before getting in the van.  I don't think it worked, or at least no body complained about my stink.

Another problem was I didn't have an extra bra.  I only had the one that I had been wearing all week at Girls Camp and I didn't really like the idea of going with out one while it was being washed (Let me remind you all that I was 16, and not very flexible on the way things could be done.).

So we stopped in a cheap variety store.  The kind that sells clothes, but has no dressing room.  And what did I do?  To my mother's horror, I tried one on over my clothes in the middle of the store.  I saw nothing wrong with it.  It was a strange thing to do, but nothing really immodest about it.  Superman wears his underware over his tights doesnt he?  She quickly bought me one and we left the store rather quickly.

After I got a new bra and was able to take a shower, I really enjoyed the week in the mountains.  Our cabin was HUGE!  The place was three stories high.  I had a floor entirely to myself with a kitchen, living room and bathroom.  There was also a large lake just down the hill from the cabin.  We rented a pontoon boat and had a great time boating, fishing and swimming.


We drove back to Cary to stay one night.  And then it was on to the beach.

The beach was nice, but not as nice as the mountains.  Mostly it had to do with our accomodations.  That cabin was so amazing that the little condo we stayed in at the beach didn't have a chance to impress us.  We were also a ways away from the beach.  I think we might have been "sound side" (a sound is the water in between the Outer Banks and the mainland in North Carolina.

After the beach, I went right to EFY with my friend, Rachel.  It was great!  The session that we attended was at Southern Virginia College.  The buildings were really historic, meaning that the buildings were beautiful and that there wasn't any AC.  But only in the girls dorms.  The boys had it, but we didn't.  Now that just doesn't seem fair!  Good thing the college was in the mountains and it cooled down in the evenings when we were in our rooms.

 It was a great summer!

And don't forget about SV.Soaps give-away!  I'm announcing the winner on Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny to look back at yourself as a teenage! I know that I would have been the same way about not being able to get a shower before hopping into the car! I do not look forward to my children being teens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How crazy. I can't really remember us going on vacations much as a kid. If we did, it was driving to a relatives house for a few days. It sounds like it was a great vacation after the first day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I love that you just tried the bra on over your clothes. That's funny! I'd be the same way today if I couldn't shower either. Cute story!

    ReplyDelete