Monday, February 2, 2009

AGH!!!

I had a nice howdy-do this morning!  I went to check my account balances online this morning and found that someone had spent around $2500 on our debit card today, putting us quite a ways in the hole.  Big, red numbers are NOT my friend!

I immediately contacted the bank and signed the dispute forms.  I looks like things are going to ok... in about 10-15 days (meaning we get the money back).

Until things get worked out and we get new cards, numbers and stuff, our checking account is frozen.  Which means that I had to contact all the places that I have automatically withdraw payments from my account, tell them my sob story, and then see if there was anything to be done about paying them.  Most of them were really easy to work with and I was able to change most of them to paper billing.

We were also able to pay rent from our savings (Yay for savings!), and I checked our credit report, and things look good on that end too.  Looks like someone just stole our debit card number and went to town!

So for now, things are okay.  Hopefully things will turn out alright and we'll get refunded all the money.  I'm hoping it will get resolved even sooner than the 10-15 days!

5 comments:

  1. Oh NO! Good luck working it all out. That's one of my biggest fears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry! I'm always scared that is going to happen. Do you know how they got your debit card number? Hope everything continues to work out ok for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mess! 10-15 days can feel like an eternity when it is such a big chunk of money. Hopefully things get fixed sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! You guys are so nice! We're praying hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nightmare! We had some random charges to our Credit card last fall, and ended up having to get a new one. It was a pain, but at least the banks work with you on it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete