Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - No More Tonsillitis!

All through my early elementary school years, I was plagued with sore throats.  From the way my mom describes it, I always had a sore throat.  I don't really remember it being sore, but maybe that was because it was so normal for me.

After a while, my doctor and parents decided that it would be best for me to have my tonsils removed because usually, I had tonsillitis.  I was a little excited because I was the first one I had heard of to have a tonsillectomy.  Except for my dad.  But being like my dad made it even cooler. 

Plus, my parents tried to make the situation seem better by telling me the surgery would hurt a lot, but I would get to eat ice cream and jello, stay home from school, and watch tv and movies in bed!  Yipee!

So the day of my surgery came.  Luckily, it was a day surgery thing, so I didn't worry about staying in the hospital over night.  They gave my my I.V., and soon I was under anesthesia.  Evidently, the tonsillectomy went well because there weren't any negative effects... except for the pain.

My parents remember me giving them the look of death when they came to see me after the surgery.  I don't remember being so mad, but maybe I forgot because I was in so much pain?  Who knows.

All I remember about that day after surgery was waking up in the recovery room.  I didn't really remember where I was, and I thought that the nurse sitting next to me was my mom.  I asked her to scratch my back.  She did, but as she reached over, something got caught on the tie of my hospital pants  Maybe it was a fingernail or a watch or something, but my most memorable memory of surgery that day was of getting a major wedgie!  Because you see, patients don't wear underwear underneath hospital clothing!

1 comment:

  1. My littlest sister had her tonsils and adnoids taken out at the same time. I remember visiting her in the hospital because she had to stay. I still have mine thankfully. Anything to avoid pain.

    ReplyDelete