Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - First Piano Lessons

In honor of teaching my first piano lesson this evening, I'm writing about my first lesson.

I was turning seven and I had been bugging my parents about learning to play the piano.  At least that's what they tell me.  I don't remember asking.  Maybe it's one of those repressed memories.  I wasn't a huge fan of lessons as a kid.  Playing the piano was great; practicing... not so much!  But I'm definitely not sorry my mom wouldn't let me quit!

Anyways, my parents decided that I was ready to start learning, and for my seventh birthday, I received piano lessons!  There was a single lady in our ward that lived nearby, Sister Valentine, who taught lessons.  I was so excited!

For some reason, I remember a lot of green related to those first lessons.  As I remember, my first lesson book was green and I think even the carpet or wall paper in her piano room was green too.  I don't exactly remember.  But I do remember her having a nice, big piano--probably a baby grand--with some chips in the ivory keys.  Real ivory, what a shame!  She said her piano tuner chipped them and would replace them soon.

I didn't take lessons from her for very long.  It was probably less than a year, maybe only a few months.  She moved away somewhere.  Good thing there was another piano teacher in our ward!


Mom update:  Our hospice nurse (Her name is Sandy and we LOVE her!!!) decided that my mom's interesting behavior is because of the medication the doctor prescribed her, and ordered another.  We're hopeful that the change will be for the better.  We're seeing some better times, but the problem is the first medication will stay in her system for about a week.  Meaning she's still going to have some odd behavior for a while... 

It's really tough for all of us, but it's a real blessing that there's the five of us to help share the burden.  And in this case it's a blessing that she's not very mobile.  I can't imagine how much harder it would be if she could get up and get around! 

3 comments:

  1. The thing I remember about my first piano lessons are that the room was extremely dark. I don't know how we could see to play! But it might be just a weird memory.

    Hope the new medication is the right one for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first piano lesson was from a young woman and I just remember wanting to impress her so badly, I never wanted to impress my mom when she tried teaching me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember starting piano lessons when I was 16. Obviously teenager life took over and I never really learned past the basics. I still enjoy sitting down once in a while and tinkering with the piano.

    I really enjoyed visiting with you today. Hang in there. Hopefully the new medication with be the trick.

    ReplyDelete