Monday, February 16, 2009

Book of Mormon Mondays - I need some help

I'm doing something a little different with my post today.  Instead of writing about what thoughts I've had, I need some of yours.

It's been a trying week this last week.  On Tuesday morning, my mom went from being completely normal (well, her normal, she has pretty severe MS) to completely non-responsive.  We were worried that she had a stroke.  My dad called her hospice nurse, who then called the doctor, and they said to take her directly to the emergency room.  They did a few tests, ruled out a stroke of any kind and determined that some of her blood levels were off.  Way off.

We decided to put her in the hospital for a couple of days to even out those levels and then try out some new medicines for her mental state.  To make a long story short, they were able to get her levels back up to normal--strange how little things can make a big difference--and they were able to start her on a new medication.  She didn't have any adverse reactions so we took her home on Friday evening.

And things have kept going down hill. The medicine has her pretty drugged up so she's not really her self.  She's doing a lot of weird things.  Some of it is pretty disturbing.  We're hoping that once the medicine has a few days to level off in her system, she'll start improving, but she's been a little unwilling to take any pills.

So here's where the Book of Mormon Mondays comes in.  I've never been really good at studying the scriptures.  I read them often, but I'm not very good at studying to find an answer.  What are some scriptures (from any volume of scripture) that you have found that have given you strength or comfort in trying times?

PS:  In the time it took to write and post this, my mom has perked up quite a bit!  It's pretty encouraging!  There's still a ways to go, but I think things are going to be a lot better than we originally thought! :D

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that! Whether it be a stroke, or low blood levels, etc it is all such a scary thing. It sounds like it all happened so quickly. I really hope your mom gets some of her self back. Hopefully over time that will happen. Please let me know if there is anything I can do and I really mean that. I think about your family often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry to hear about your mother's health. I've had an amazing amount of trials come before me. In 1987 my baby boy was diagnosed with cancer, 10 months later I had brain surgery...I went into a coma and almost died, also my oldest son had a very bad football accident in which he almost lost his arm the week before my brain surgery, my son died 6 months later and I was served with divorce papers a month before his death. All of this happened within 18 months. My strength came from believing in Christ, reading my scriptures and knowing He would give me strength. I never lost my faith and I put everything in His hands knowing He would take care of it. It was difficult but I am here and I am writing about my story on my blog. Believe and put it all in God's hands. He will do what is right.

    My story blog:
    http://inspirationallettersbymillie.blogspot.com
    My family blog:
    http://2good4nana.spaces.live.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two ideas:
    1. 3 Nephi 14: 24-27
    2. 3 Nephi 17: 11-25 (esp. verse 21)

    The combined message of these sections is where I find much comfort--that even the wise man's house was beaten by storms and floods, but Christ knows us all and loves us enough to care for us one by one. He might not make the flood go away, but he promises that we will not fall if our hearts are built upon him. There is so much peace in the scriptures, but I do realize that sometimes it's hard to know where to look for it. Please know that we are praying for you and your mom every day. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel,
    I really hope your mom is doing better. What a challenge you and your dad are facing every day! You are in my prayers!
    Heard you are coming down this weekend - it will be fun to see you!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the D&C and all the revelations that God gave Joseph Smith and others to comfort them in their trials. Hang in there and stay close to the Lord. Read your scriptures and say your prayers and you will find comfort. Remember that the Lord knows ALL and that everything has a purpose. He loves you and knows of your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always turn to the bible passage about job during my tough times. It reminds me that life's trials are earthly tests and often Heavenly father lets us go through them because he has faith in us. I never want to dissapoint that faith so I try my best to stay strong and see the trial through to the end so that I can learn whatever lesson there is to be had in it.

    I'm so sorry for the pain and confusion in your family right now and hope that you will all see the blessings along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about this. I have been meaning to stop by and see you guys all last week. You were just on my mind a lot and I am sorry I didn't follow through. Please let us know if we can do something for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachel! Brent told me about how your weekend went and we have been hoping things have been getting better. I wanted to know how you are doing for you and your parents. I hope that today is an up day.

    At any rate - you are so good to turn to the Lord. I know that when I have the chance to spiritually prepare myself for the day - by getting up early enough to have some me time before the rest of the crew is up and going and take time to pray and write down what I am thinking about or question I have that day about life or challenges and then read the scriptures or conference talks, the Holy Ghost inspires me with specific insights and strength regarding the things I had prayed about or questions I had written down. My trouble is, that I haven't been taking the time to do that lately and want to be better. I guess trials and challenges help us to turn to the source that can give us love, peace, strength and light.

    We hope things are going great for you - and it has been a few days since we have seen you so know that we are going through big Cheney withdrawals! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete