Monday, February 2, 2009

Book of Mormon Mondays - Fighting the Good Fight

Derek and I were reading Alma 43 yesterday, and was particularly struck by these two verses...

Alma 43:30, 45
30 And he also knowing that it was the only desire of the Nephites to preserve their lands, and their liberty, and their church, therefore he thought it no sin that he should defend them by stratagem; therefore, he found by his spies which course the Lamanites were to take. 

45 Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church. 

I was impressed with how slow the Nephites were to go to war, but when the Lord told Alma that it was the right thing to do (defend their homes and families).

I was even more impressed with the wording, "therefore he thought it no sin that he should defend them by stratagem," in verse 30.  To me, that means that it's important to stand up for what's right; to fight for what's right, if you will. And I don't mean in a violent way.

There are many times in my life where I'm afraid to fight for what's right, for big things and for small things.  I think most of the time, my hesitance is because I'm worried I'm going to offend or bother someone.  But this scripture story has inspired me to do more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment