Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Weekend

After a crazy week, this weekend was almost relaxing.  As many of you who me locally, my mom was in the hospital this last week.  I've got more about that in my next post.  Suffice it to say, our world was turned a little upside down as we took turns spending time with her 24/7.

But she came home Friday night, so Saturday was a fairly normal day for Derek and I.  We slept in, and Derek made me heart shaped pancakes!  I was tickled pink as my dad would say.   I so wished I had my camera available!  Somehow my memory card got corrupted and it's my only one (Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it?  I already reformatted it in my camera and that didn't do anything...).

Then we ran a few errands.  Derek helped out our friends the Ortons. I delivered some valentines and then met my new piano student and his mother at the music store to pick out some lesson books.  My first piano student!  Thanks Tanya for suggesting me when Crystal asked for someone!  I'm so excited!  Wish me luck!

After our errands, we watched a couple of Law and Order episodes.  I have a weakness for crime shows and L&O is our favorite.  It was just so nice to relax and watch TV!

And Derek's E-mart watch died.  E-mart is the Wal-mart equivelant in Korea.  It's been going for some time now and finally completely died.  Good excuse to go to Wal-mart for some shopping.  Not only did we get a stylin' watch, but we got some Cheetos Puffs and Sweethart conversation hearts.  My favorite!  I can already feel some sore spots on my tounge from too much sugar!

Saturday evening was a little rough for my dad.  He called us to see if there was anything we could do to help the situation any.  There wasn't anything we could do.  My mom was just having a really rough time, but I think it helped my dad to have someone else there with him.

Today was a little rough for me.  A lot of what's been happening around here is just setting in.  Sacrament meeting was great.  Both speakers talked about very timely topics, finding blessings in adversity and prayer.  And the hymns were just perfect too!  After the first hour, Derek and I mutually agreed that we needed to be at my parent's house to keep my dad sane and see how we could help my mom.  It was a good choice.  She's come around a bit and act a little more like herself.

And that's where we are as of now.  A little frazzled, but we're doing okay.  And surprisingly, we're happy.  Not happy with the situation per se, but we've been blessed with some feeling of happiness.

And PS:  I can't post this without giving a shout out to our amazing ward, the Caldwell 3rd Ward.  Especially our Relief Society President and Compassionate Service Leader.   They've really took the bull by the horns and have some great plans to help us out.  And thank you to everyone else for your kindness and concern for my family.  We really appreciate it!  

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom being in the hospital and that things are hard for your family right now. We send our love and will remember your family in our prayers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you and your family the comfort and help that you need. You will be in our prayers. We hope all goes as well as it should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear about your mom. I will think and pray for you and your family. I find it always wonderful to feel the peace that comes despite the turmoil and trial. I often wonder how people without the gospel cope with not having the spirit to comfort them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your mom, Rachel. Hope things get better soon. I am glad that your Valentine's Day was still nice despite it all!

    I don't think you can fix a corrupted card. They say they'll all corrupt eventually, so you shouldn't keep pictures on it and download them asap! (Advice I definitely don't keep!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your mom and honestly I had no idea. As your VT I kind of feel bad about that. Am I not supposed to always be there? I am so glad that your mom is home now. I totally understand some of your feelings. You feel blessed and happy at the moment but so frazzled and worn out. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done for you. Is there a plan in place to help you guys out with dinner once in a while. When your mom's situation was announced in RS, I overheard several people mention how they did not realize that you watched her in the day. I think caregivers get overlooked far too often. I think about you often. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, that's funny that they don't know I'm one of her caregivers because it seems like everyone asks me how she's doing! Oh well, I guess the word's out now! And don't feel bad about not knowing about her being in the hospital. We didn't really spread the word very well. Most people didn't know.

    ReplyDelete