Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - Homemade Ice Cream

When I was a kid back in Utah, my parents owned an ice cream maker.  It was a big, blue bucket looking thing with a shiny motor in the middle, and boy was it was LOUD!

I remember once summer we made vanilla ice cream in our back yard.  There might have been other families there, I'm not sure.  My dad was in charge and he put all the ingredients in the bucket and supervised it.  The only ingredient I remember was rock salt.  I'm sure he put other stuff in it like sugar, milk and ice, but I remember rock salt because it was different from regular salt and as a child, I thought it was the weirdest thing to put salt of any kind in ice cream.

Funny thing was, as fun as it was to make the ice cream, I didn't really like it.  It had an interesting flavor and an even more interesting texture.  Definitely not as good as store bought.  Maybe it was just a fluke that it didn't turn out well that time, but I haven't really had the desire to make or eat any more homemade ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. Yep. I think you need to give homemade ice cream another try with your grown up taste buds!!!! And the rock salt wasn't in the ice cream...it helps lower the temp of the ice to freeze the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete