Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - The Blessings of Scripture Study

When we first got to Korea to teach English and realized that most of my classes were full of kids, my first thought was, "What was I thinking?!  This has the potential to be a great experience for me, but I don't really like kids!  I don't know what to do!"  That coupled with the stress of being in a new country with a foreign language caused a lot of anxiety for me.

I felt like no matter what I did, I wasn't able to get a handle on teaching my students because of the fact that we spoke different languages and the fact that they were children.  I felt really overwhelmed and lost.

So I thought of ways to do better.  Since I felt like I was doing everything I knew to do as a teacher, I thought of ways to turn to Heavenly Father for help.  The thing that stuck out the most to me was personal scripture study.  I knew that I could receive many blessings from reading, and I thought that just maybe it could help in my situation.

I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to help me have better days teaching as I read the scriptures daily.   I had a good feeling about my plan, and knew it was something I should be doing anyway, so I started.  Reading everyday wasn't very easy for me.  Scripture study has always been my weak point, but I found a good time in the morning to do it.

I think I read the scriptures just about everyday that we were in Korea, and as I read I noticed that teaching English was getting easier!  I wasn't dreading going to work each day!  My students seemed easier to manage and I felt like I was really improving my communication skills.  I didn't have any more disaster days.  What a huge blessing in my life!

I know that feeling like and being a better teacher was directly related to my faith in daily personal scripture study and I'm really glad that I took the time to do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment