Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Memories From Enrichment

Our ward invited a special guest to show us how to use powdered milk more efficiently.  She was great!  She was like a cooking show, but better because we got to sample the things she was making.  We also got a hand-out with the recipes she demonstrated.  Here are the five things that stuck out to me the most.  

1. Almost gagging after tasting the plain yogurt.  Why would she have a sample?  To show the consistency of the yogurt?  She had other flavors made from the plain yogurt so the consistency was already shown.  I guess because people often use plain yogurt in recipes that they would need to know what it's like, but man, it's a downer for a sample!

2.  Finding out about 3/4 of the way through the presentation that "instant" milk and "non-instant" milk are both powders.  I thought that "instant" meant real milk from the store.  How much more instant can you get?  I was really confused when she said that instant was a bit cheaper than non-instant, but we'd use twice as much. 

I thought, if instant is cheaper (still thinking real milk) why are we bothering with this presentation and with powdered milk?  And why would anyone want to use non-instant (still thinking powdered milk) if they had to use twice as much?  I guessed that powdered milk was good for storing. 

This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened to me.  I often jump to conclusions that seem reasonable at the time, but when I find out the real deal, I feel REALLY stupid as in this case.  Finally I asked Tanya what the deal was with the instant and the non-instant and she explained that they were both powders but one mixed instantly and the other took more time. 

Huh, DUH Rachel!!!

3. The sampling experience.  We only got one cup or bowl (in my case it was a cup), so all our sample left overs collected in the bottom and mixed together.  So by the end of the evening, we were getting yogurty, ranchy, milky, strawberry-ish, flavors in everything.  UNLESS you got a HUGE serving of the sample.  Then the majority of the sample was untainted.  But of course, us polite women were all only taking tiny spoonfulls. 

I had an inner struggle with whether or not to take a large sample or not.  On the one hand, everyone was taking teensy bites and I would look like a complete pig if I took a big spoonfull.  On the other, the samples were DELICIOUS!  Well, most of the samples I was NOT wild about the plain yogurt or plain powdered milk.  The chocolate kind was great.  So by the time the chocolate icecream came around (remember, I have a jones for chocolate), I thought, "forget this, I'm eating ICE CREAM!!!" and scooped a HUGE serving in my cup and then into Tanya's as well.  Hope she didn't mind.  The ice cream was really good.

4.  Meeting a new friend.  Tanya was kind enough to pick me up and our new friend Francis.  Francis is investigating our church and came to Enrichment with us.  She's easy to talk to, fun and really nice.  I want to hang out with her more.  I hope she chooses our church!  Oh, and congrats to her for getting married soon!

5. Hanging out with my friend Tanya.  She's so cool!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Rachel -- I think you are soo cool too! Thanks for the extra ice cream - I loved it! It was a yummy night! Have you tried any of the recipes yet? I might try the yogurt next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sad that I missed this. It sounds like it was great! I am glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on the plain yogurt. I gagged and immediately reached for my cup of water. It was the grossest thing I have ever tasted. I will most likely not be making the yogurt of cottage cheese on my own. Yuck! On the other hand, I really liked the croutons, icecream and sherbets, the Whippit stuff and cheese sauce. It was probably the most informative night I have ever been to.

    ReplyDelete