Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Newsworthy Tuesday - Musharraf's Resignation

I am a hopeless news junkie.  I get so caught up in reading the news sometimes, that I have to refrain from reading.  Other times, the news is either so unappealing because it's content goes way over my head or it's so depressing that I just can't read it.  But more often than not, I usually enjoy it. 

Today I read about an event from a few different news sources.  My favorite of all time is The Christian Science Monitor.  I know the title sounds weird, but it actually has really good, unbiased news.  My Geography 120 professor, Professor Emmett, gave our class an assignment to read news articles about a specific region in the world and then write up a report on what we learned.  He suggested The CSM and I've loved it ever since.

The event I read about was Pakistan's President Musharraf's resignation. To be honest, I was a little surprised that he voluntarily left.  He's been holding on pretty tight for the last couple of years.  Remember when he suspended the government and set up emergency rule?

Anyways, he resigned.  And I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or not.  Some of the media said that he was a ally against terror.  Others in the media said that he let the taliban hide out in the mountains.  What I do know is that he was keeping democracy from really taking place in Pakistan.  He came to power in a military coup and then stayed in power by what I can only imagine as unscrupulous means.  So in that way, his resignation is a good thing. 

So now that I've nerded you all out, I want to hear what you think of his resignation.  Is it good or bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment