Sunday, August 17, 2008

Television and Movie Monday

Here's what we've been watching!

Television-

We've been watching the Olympics this last week.  Who hasn't?  They're pretty addicting.  I have a hard time just sitting and watching, so I usually read a book at the same time.  Sound weird, but it works for me.   And I had no idea how patriotic my husband is!  He was jumping out of his seat when team USA made a huge comeback against team Belgium in beach volleyball, and the whole time pumping his fist and yelling "YEAH!  GO USA!  BEAT THOSE BELGIANS!!!!"  He doesn't even like sports!

Anyways, it's been great to see how well it's going in China.  There's been a lot of hype about it, and I'm glad that China's been showing their stuff.  There have been the little glitches--the lip-synching girl which wouldn't have been THAT bad if it wasn't a DIFFERENT girl actually singing, and the digitally enhanced fireworks--but overall, I think the Olympics have gone great!  And it's really great to see the world getting to know China a bit better.  They've been misunderstood for a long time!

Movie-

We went to see The Chronicles of Narnia 2: Prince Caspian last Thursday evening at the dollar theater.  Or should I say $2 theater.  Now it's only $1 on Tuesdays.  Darn!  Anyways, we totally, completely, thoroughly enjoyed it!  It was SO GOOD even though they changed quite a few things from the book.  But it's been a little while since I've read the book, so maybe it's just my mind jumbling things up.

A lot of people have been saying how much better Prince Caspian is than The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and how they enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but how it wasn't all that great.  I totally disagree.  I thought they were both excellent!  This could be because the first one was more for kids, and the second one was geared more towards an older crowd.  Who knows?!  I just know I enjoyed both of them.  I hope they keep up the good work!

Do you ever have those experiences when you're watching a movie and you recognize an actor, but you can't quite place them because they're in a different role, wearing different clothes?  That happened to me in Prince Caspian.  The actor playing the evil, conniving Miraz looked so familiar, but I just could not place it.  About halfway through the movie, it suddenly came to me.  I was so excited I slapped Derek's knee so hard, I'm sure everyone could hear it!  He was Sergio Castellitto, an Italian actor who played a great chef in my favorite German movie Bella Marta!  I was so surprised that he spoke English!  I'd only seen him in that one German movie and I think he's only been in European stuff.  Derek had a similar experience, but he couldn't figure it out until the end.  The voice of Reepicheep sounded so familiar to us, but we couldn't figure it out.  He was Eddie Izzard!  Funny, funny guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment