Friday, September 12, 2008

How Hard is it to Get Rid of Treats?!

A couple of days ago, I made some yummy chocolate chip banana bars. I'm usually not a fan of anything with bananas in it, but these weren't bad at all! My parents had three extra ripe naners, making the recipe 1 1/2 times larger, so we had A TON of C.C.B.bars as I affectionately call them.

My first thought was to give them to my mom's visiting teachees (In Mormon lingo, those are women that my Mom checks on and visits each month with another lady), so I wrapped them up and they were all ready to go. But those ladies don't live within our "rolling range" so we put that off for a day or so.

Finally, this morning, we decided that it was high time to deliver them to SOMEONE! We had already eaten the first pan, and weren't about to eat another! So my Mom and I went on one of our daily "rolls" (my Mom's in a wheelchair, therefore rolls), C.C.B. bars in tow.

We thought, we'll go around the block and give them to the people we know on the way. We got to the first door and knocked... no answer. Oh well, we thought. On to the next door. We knocked, dogs barked... again, no answer! This is unusual, we thought, but we kept going. At the next door, still no answer!

How hard is it to get rid of yummy treats?! It was bordering on the ridiculous! We laughed to ourselves, and kept going. On the next corner was a friend that my mom sometimes chats with as she passes by, Jodi. She was home! We had perfect timing with her because she was just going out the door to pick peaches!

Our original inspiration for making the treats was to give to a new friend we made this week who also has MS. But he wasn't home either. :(

So let's count. How many houses? 4. How many plates of cookies given out? 1. That meant that I was still carrying two plates of cookies and by this time--just about noon--the sun was coming out and the chocolate chips were starting to melt!

We stopped by another friend's house and thankfully, she was home! It was getting a bit hot to be out and about. But that still left one plate. What were we going to do with that plate? I seriously considered eating them on the way home, but our friend mentioned that another mutual friend was coming to meet her in just 5 minutes to go to an "empty nester's lunch" (again, very good timing). Ah, good! We thought, we can finally get rid of this last plate!

It was quite an outing! Usually, we're only out for 30-40 minutes. This time, with all the door knocking, it was closer to an hour or more! Who would have thought it would be so hard to get rid of treats?!

3 comments:

  1. What a walk! they sound delicious - I wish we could have been on the route! Hope you had a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you couldn't get rid of sweets! Bring em here to NC we'll take them! (: So I work with a lady at the YMCA who knows your family. Her name is Mary Beth Something that starts with an H. She said she lived down the street from you guys and you took her through the temple, she was at your wedding, etc etc! She loved talking about ya! She said to say hello and she missed your mom and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I was in rolling distance. We would have loved to try them out. :) What a great week for a walk though.

    ReplyDelete