Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Newsworthy Tuesday - YES Program

For today's Newsworthy Tuesday, we're going in a bit of a different direction. The article I'm linking to isn't breaking news exactly. It's just something I read, and thought I'd like to share it. It's about the US Department of State's program, YES (Youth Exchange and Study) program.

The YES program is an exchange program for students from Muslim countries to come to the US to study and for US students to go to Muslim countries to study! I really think this is a great way to teach each other about our cultural differences AND similarities! We aren't as different as we think!

It sort of reminded me of the book, Three Cups of Tea, which I love! Both the book and the article discuss different ways to counteract terrorism. War isn't the only way to defeat Islamic extremism.

I wish I could have done something like this when I was a high school student!

Cultural exchange: Egyptian students who studied in the US through the YES program, visit the National 4-H Center in Washington with volunteers. Photo Courtesy of the Youth Exchange and Study Program.Courtesy of the Youth Exchange and Study Program

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post! You can read more stories from these amazing students and their host families at http://www.yesprograms.org

    ReplyDelete