Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Newsworthy Tuesday - Kim Jong Il

Sorry this post is so late in the day!!!  I've been trying to get them out in the mornings, but life, you know, gets in the way!

Missing Kim Jong Il Raises Health Questions

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this recent turn of events.  Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely NOT a supporter of the leader of the communist North Korean regime.  He's a horrible guy.  But what does his illness mean for North Korea? 

Here's the article about it from cnn.com 

And here's the article from my local newspaper, which, surprising for a local Idaho paper, was better.

I'm doubting that his change in health or even death will change anything within the country.  I wouldn't put it past him to have doubles going around long after he is dead.  Afterall, North Koreans still revere his father who died MANY years ago.

Having lived in South Korea, I kind of feel a strangely special connection to North Korea.  It's interesting, Americans see North Korea and South Korea as two different countries.  Koreans, or at least South Koreans, rarely ever say "South Korea" or "North Korea."  They only say "Korea," unless they need to make an obvious distinction.

It's tough for them.  Especially in the area I was in, which is close to the DMZ.  Many of their families were split.  And even those who were spared that difficulty still see North Koreans as their brothers, and should be reunited.

So, how do I feel about Kim Jong Ill's reported ill health, possibly stroke?  I say he had it coming to him.  Nobody's immune to old age and poor health, even if you've convinced your countrymen!

No comments:

Post a Comment