Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Changing it up!

I am changing it up around here!  Newsworthy Tuesdays are now Top 10 Tuesdays as inspired by Amanda of ohamanda.com!  I was getting sick of the news.  It's all Obama, war, or North Korea.  Over and over again!


So this week's list, Top 10 Pet Names!  I'm a picky person when it comes to pet names.  They can't be too cutesy like "Brownie" or "Whiskers."  They need to be real sounding names.  I like people names for pets, but not names that I'd actually name a child.  That would just be awkward...

  1. Willow:  Our current cat's name.  She came with it and it fits her well.  She's kind of wispy like a weeping willow tree.  Plus it's a real person name, but too trendy for me to use for a kid.

  2. Chloe, Zoe:  We had three cats while we were in college, two girls and a boy (named #3).  We liked the idea of rhyming names, but didn't want a Blinky and a Winky.  So we picked the two trendiest names we could think of and they worked!  Those two cats had some serious girl cattitude!

  3. George Washington:  I was reading a book about George Washington and was so impressed with him I named my Siamese kitten after him.  Lame, right?  We didn't actually call him George Washington.  Usually we just called him Georgie.  But that's probably even lamer! :)  But the name did fit him really well.  And he was a really cute cat.

  4. King Charles:  If I ever get a Great Dane (which is my dream and only dog I'll ever consider owning), I will name it King Charles.  Don't know why.  It just popped into my brain as I thought about owning such a HUGE dog!

  5. Kimchi, Gimbap, Sushi, Cham-chi:  While we were preparing to move back to the States from Korea, we planned on getting three kittens ASAP.  We thought of naming them some foreign foods because foreign words rock as pet names, and it would be funny to name kittens after food.  My favorite was Cham-chi.  That means tuna in Korean.

  6. Ko-neko, Koyang-i, Mao: The other idea we had for our three future kittens was the word "cat" in three languages, Japanese, Korean and Chinese.  The only problem was Chinese.  The word for cat in Chinese is Mao, which is spelled and pronounced the same as the communist dictator in English.  It has a different character and tone in Chinese, but no American was going to get that. Not going to work for us, but I still think it would be fun!

  7. Hamu and Hamu:  In Korea we had three hamsters.  Two were identical in everway (except for gender, but we didn't know that until they had 7 babies), so we named them Hamu and Hamu--the shortened Korean word for hamsters.

  8. Yuki:  Our third hamster was all white.  We named her Yuki because "yuki" means "snow" in Japanese and it's a real Japanese name. 

  9. Shouka:  On a recent episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8, they got two puppies, one of which they named Shouka.  I really like that name!  They named the puppy after a security guard they met in Hawaii.  A huge security guard.  Appropriate because the puppies they got were German Shepherds.

  10. Rika: My friend Andrea also has a German Shepherd.  Her name is Rika.  I like it because it sounds like a German name.  And it's just fun to say!
What are some of your favorite pet names?  What's your current pet's name?

7 comments:

  1. Jodi & Chris ReeveApril 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM

    I like it, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so fun! I love the foreign names! We had a cat named Bartholomew once. Get it? BartholoMEW?

    lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we ever get an animal I think we'll name it Hector (if it is male) after my husband's favorite composer. If it is female, I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are not creative with pet names (which is good since we currently have no pets - except fish). Our last cat was Scooter and my cat from my childhood was Tat (Tat the cat, get it?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pet names! I especially liked BartholoMEW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great names! My dog is Lily (love the name but probably wouldn't name a child that). Before that we had Sophie and Katie. If I get another dog some day it will probably be Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to have a cat named Sarah. For some reason I always wanted to name a pet that. We currently have two dogs. One is Rusty. So expected. The other is Kaika Mahine. Kaika (ka-ee-ka) for short. It means daughter in Hawaiian. My ancestry on my dad's side. I really like the name Roxy.

    ReplyDelete