Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - Silly Childhood Thoughts

I, like many of you, had a ton of silly thoughts as a child.  Here are just a few.

  • I love/loved the smell of matches and candles burning.  One Christmas, in an effort to get a good whiff of a candle, I took a deep breath in and accidentally sniffed it out.  I momentarily froze because I thought that what I had just done could be considered smoking.

  • I used to think that I could get AIDS by not wearing a band-aid on an open wound.  Subsiquently, anytime I was bleeding, I always had to have a band-aid.

  • Half of my childhood was spent in Utah.  At the time, there wasn't that much ethnic diversity.  The only exposure to African-Americans I had was the Cosby Show.  One day, I asked my parents why Bill Cosby painted his fingernails white. 

  • One day, I asked my dad to blow up a balloon for me.  I guess he was busy at the time, so my mom offered.  I told her that I wanted dad to do it because when boys blow up balloons, they float in the air.  My mom laughed and said that nobody could do that.  That was helium.  I blame that thought on Winnie the Pooh.  I swear there was a scene in one of those movies where Christopher Robin blows up a balloon, ties a string to it, and it floats.

  • Speaking of Christopher Robin, I thought he was a she for a while.  I think it was because in my mind, Robin is was a girl's name, and even though Christopher was a boy's name, adding Robin to the end of it made it a girl's name.  He also wore some pretty gender neutral clothing.  AND what boy plays with stuffed animals.

  • When we moved to North Carolina, our toilets were "low flow."  Meaning, they had less water in the bowls.  After living in our brand-new house for a few days, I asked my parents when we'd be getting more water in our toilets.  You see, I had no concept of "low flow," and since our house was just built, I thought that somehow affected the water in the toilets.
I really have no shame, do I?  Or maybe a better word would be pride.  I seem to have a need to share some of my most embarrassing stories!

PS:  Sorry for being MIA lately!  My dad and I went on an impromtu road trip up through scenic Idaho.  It was great!  And now I love steak!

No comments:

Post a Comment