Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Idaho

This week I am grateful to live in the state of Idaho. It's taken a while to really appreciate where Derek and I live now. I've always thought of Idaho as being a little too country for me. But times are changin' and so am I!

My dad and I went on a short road trip on Monday and Tuesday (which is why I haven't been blogging much this week). He wanted to get out and see some "country" as he put it, and I was happy to tag along. It's no fun traveling alone!

We drove all the way up to Riggins, then turned back and stayed a night in Mccall. The drive was so beautiful! We passed through a bunch of tiny farming towns.  All their fields were a beautiful verdant green.  We also passed through a lot of open land. 

Now I understand why my dad's always had this huge draw back to Idaho. He's been talking about moving back here my whole life. I just always thought he was crazy!

In Mccall, we walked around a few shops and then went to an amazing restaurant, The Mill.  We went there hoping to avoid high prices for steak, but it was still pretty pricey, but not bad for a nice restaurant.  I was determined to order steak cooked just right.  I've never really liked steak, mostly because I always order it too well done.

So that night, I ordered an 8oz. Prime Rib (I know, I know! Prime rib isn't steak).  I asked the waitress what she thought would be best for me as I had never really had a great steak.  She suggested that I try it cooked medium.  That way it would be nice and juicy, but not bloody.

It was PERFECT!  I was in heaven eating that prime rib!  I ate the whole thing, plus a salad and half a baked potato.  Yum!  Going to the Mill is definitely on my birthday wish list!

The weather was perfect!  Just warm enough to enjoy being outside but not being too hot either!  We even saw a bunch of deer just outside of our hotel room!.  There were four of them, and we think they're part of the town.  They seemed pretty comfortable with us being close by. 

We had a nice, relaxing trip back home Tuesday afternoon.  We went by a couple of stores in the Boise Town Square Mall, and then on to Meridian Meat Packers to get more Ed's Western Style Beef Jerky.  Great stuff and you can order it online!

It was a lot of fun to go on this trip with my dad.  He was full of stories from his childhood.  I had never heard a bunch of them!  It was great to get to spend some time with my dad!

3 comments:

  1. I have never lived in ID but I understand what you mean about it being country. I had a friend in UT who would complain that everyone thought she was a hick because she was from ID. I never thought that until I knew people from ID. I could never explain to her that at least in NC no one knows jack about farming etc, and in ID it seems like everyone has grown up gleaning potatoes and moving pipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scenery on that drive! Bob is from Clarkston, WA, so when we were living in Utah we made that drive up to his parents' house quite a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McCall is such a nice place to visit. It is pretty close to Boise. There are a lot of fun camping places up there. My parents are part of a time share up there so we go quite often. We also love to snowboard up at Brundage which is 20 minutes outside of town. I just love McCall. You need to go during their winter festival. That is a lot of fun. What a fun trip and great opportunity to be with your dad.

    ReplyDelete