Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Way Back When Wednesdays - Automatic Car Doors

Derek and I were lucky enough to visit each other about twice a month during the summer we were engaged.  That probably doesn't sound lucky, but when you think about how we met at BYU in Utah, and we were both from the East Coast (Me - NC, Derek - VA), we felt pretty lucky.  We lived only 5 hours away from each other.

One weekend he came down to visit me, I decided that I would take him to the Outer Banks for the day.  If you haven't been there yet, go!  Those beaches are amazing and so fragile!

Since the drive was about 3 hours, I didn't want to wear my swimming suit the entire ride.  I wore regular clothes and planned on changing once we got there.  When we got to the beach, I realized there weren't any bathrooms or changing rooms nearby, so the obvious choice was to change in the back of the van.  I told Derek to stand outside the van, DON'T PEAK IN, and make sure no one else does either!  He agreed and politely faced the other way... 

Until I accidentally pushed the door opener button.  I had the keys in my hand, and as I was pulling things down, I squeezed the convenient button on the key chain.  Oops!  Derek--thinking I was done changing--started walking over to the opening door.

I was half undressed and panicked.  The closest thing to me to cover myself with was a beach towel, but I couldn't get it unfolded in time.  I laid it across my lap and hoped he wouldn't be able to see anything along the sides.

Now you might be thinking, why didn't she just close the door?!  Well, being a magical, automatic door, comes with one fatal flaw.  You can't really close it until it's finished opening.  So I had to sit there, with a beach towel folded up to the size of a dish towel on my lap, and yell to Derek that I wasn't done and that he'd BETTER NOT COME OVER HERE!

He got the message pretty quickly and only briefly saw me in my predicament.  To this day, he claimes he didn't see anything except a bright red, panicked face!  I really hope that's true! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word! That is so funny/embarrassing. I would be freaking if that were me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it didn't turn out as embarassing as it could have! Fun story after the fact.

    ReplyDelete