Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thankful Thursday - Respite

This week, I've been especially thankful for a hospice benefit called respite care.  It's so when we feel overwhelmed taking care of my mom, Heart and Home will set up a place in a nursing home for my mom for a week.  Believe me, it's a life saver!  Especially this week!

My dad suddenly started feeling really sick Monday morning with some vertigo.  It eventually got so bad, he couldn't sit up or stand up without puking.  Not so much fun for him!  Or for me for that matter because that meant that I had two ailing adults to care for, and I'm not equipt to take care of everything for my mom.  There are somethings that I just can't do because I'm pregnant, and can't do because I just can't.  And I knew eventually some of those things would come up. 

So after a huge melt-down on my part Tuesday morning, a doctor's appointment for my dad that afternoon, we started to get a respite care set up for this week.  Thankfully, they were able to get her in Wednesday morning.  It has been such a relief!  I know that she'll get all the care she needs, and I'm not completely, 100% overwhelmed!

Heart and Home has been so great to us!  They were so attentive to our needs, and expedited a lot of the work to get my mom set up at the Nampa Care Center.  It almost seems like they're just as much our nurses and aides as they are my moms!

And I'm also very grateful for my friend and lifesaver, Tanya, who rescued me Tuesday afternoon.  My dad needed some soda to calm his stomach.  I couldn't really leave the two of them by themselves--plus I was all ugly and puffy from crying--so I called for help.  Tanya brought a huge sprite for my dad and a huge lime slushie to share.  She also distracted me from life at that moment with great conversation.  Thanks Tanya!!!

So what are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

  1. Too bad they don't have one of those for when you get overwhelmed taking care of your kids! :)

    I'm glad that you were able to find relief though. I admire very much what you are doing for your mom. Especially while pregnant. When I'm pregnant I can't even take care of myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi & Chris ReeveMay 15, 2009 at 3:44 AM

    I am very impressed at all you do to take care of your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perspective of gratitude you just shared. It's made me come and comment to see this from you in my google reader today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you guys had such a stressful day---lime slushies and good friends do make the situation better. I hope everything will calm down and get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cruddy week! I was bummed that I couldn't make the last minute visiting teaching appointment with you today. We have had such a busy week. I have this yucky cough that has caused my neck muscles to hurt and become stiff, so my lack of getting things done at my mom's shows. We have also been running around for the last 3 days to therapy, appointments and more appointments. Holy cow I am ready for the weekend. I hope this next week brings you relief enough to get yourself together. I hope that your dad's health also improves. Caregivers need to take care of their health too.

    ReplyDelete