Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - Bust Size

A couple of weeks before Christmas of '07, I decided to go Christmas shopping by myself.  Pretty brave for me because we lived in Korea at the time, and I was planning on going to Seoul, about 3 hours away.

Derek and I had gone together plenty of times so I knew the routine, and I knew exactly where I wanted to go--the COEX Mall--and how to get there on the subway.

I left Sokcho early-ish in the morning and got to Seoul with no problems.  Once I got to COEX, I decided I'd be a little adventurous and do some clothes shopping for myself.  That's a big deal for a foreigner like me in Korea because it's tough for us to find clothes that fit.  Koreans are just built differently. AND hardly any shopkeepers speak enough English to make conversing pleasant.

After walking past a couple stores, I found one that looked promising.  There was a cute sweatshirt hanging out front and I stopped to look at it making myself a magnet for shopkeepers.  And sure enough, the shopkeeper immediately came out and tried to help me.  She didn't speak much English, so I sort of pantomimed that I wanted to try on the sweatshirt.

She vigorously shook her head no.  When I asked why, she said, "One size," as she took the sweatshirt off the hanger.  She then grabbed it on either side under the sleeves, and stretched it several times like a rubber band chanting "Bust size! Bust size!"  I got the point and left quickly.  Evidently, she thought I would stretch it out!

What I couldn't figure out though was why my bust size prevented me from trying on the sweatshirt, but she saw no problem with stretching it out herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment