Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - Oh what do you do in the summer time?

When I was a kid, I used to run through the sprinklers as soon as it got warm enough.  Looking back on it, I don't really see why I loved it so much.  I didn't really like getting water in my face, I hardly got wet, and I usually got grass all over myself.  But I remember really liking it.  

One year we had a Mickey Mouse sprinkler that hooked up to a hose.  Water sprayed straight up through the plastic umbrella Mickey held.  I would "sit" on it and pretend that the pressure was building up, and then jump off real quick.  That same year, we filled up a big trash can with water and played in it.  Seems odd looking back on it.  It was big enough for one person to get in.  I think it came up just above my waist.  But the problem was getting in.  It was too hard to climb in!  So my brother and I just splashed it around.

We also usually had some sort of kiddie pool that we set up in the back yard every year.  My mom had a rule for swimming.  It had to be at least 85 degrees before we were allowed to swim.  I remember one summer calling "Time and Temperature" multiple times a day to find out if it were warm enough yet.  I hope that number wasn't like 4-1-1 with a charge.  My parents never complained about it though, so maybe not. 

So what do you do (or did you do) in the summer time?

No comments:

Post a Comment