Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Top Ten Tuesday - Being Woken up in the Night

Last night around 2:45am I was rudely awoken by my cute furry animal. That in turn inspired this week's top ten list...



Top 10 Things I Hate to Be Awoken By

  1. Willow getting stuck behind our bed.  This is what woke me up early this morning.  We have a massive bed and headboard with an empty space behind it.  When we set it up, we didn't get it completely against the wall so Willow can jump behind it, but can't always get out.  Lately, she has been so when she jumped back there just as we were going to sleep, I didn't worry too much about it.  She would figure it out.  NOT SO!  About 4 hours later (2:45am), I woke up to loud thumping and scratching sounds.  She was stuck.  The only problem we have with our bed is that it's too heavy to move.  But if you move the mattress out a bit, there is an opening to the space behind the headboard.  Problem solved!  But we both had to get up, get out of bed, and move the mattress.  It's a good thing Willow's so cute.  When we moved the mattress, she just sort of looked at us like, "what took you so long?" and then took her time getting out!



  2. Getting elbowed in the head.  Sometimes, when I roll over in bed, I smack my forehead on Derek's elbow.  He often sleeps with his arms behind his head.  Luckily for me, it doesn't usually hurt.  I don't do too many sudden movements in my sleep.  It just wakes me up.

  3. The extreme need to pee.  I've gone through cycles in my life where I've woken up at 3am every morning needing to pee.  I always go back to sleep easily, and those cycles are usually only a couple of weeks or so and come and go.  Since being pregnant, that cycle has returned although it's not quite as regular.  But there's nothing worse than waking up and having to BOLT out of bed to make it in time! :D

  4. The doorbell rings.  Not the front door doorbell, a battery operated one we had for my mom when she needed us and we weren't in the room.  It's not usually a problem... just when she rings it over and over again at 1 o'clock in the morning!

  5. A cat pukingI've posted about this before.  It's disgusting and you have to be fully awake to take care of it.  Yuck!

  6. The broken alarm going off.  We sort of moved to my parents' house in in stages.  So we didn't have all our stuff from the beginning.  One of the things it took a couple of days to get was our alarm clock.  In the mean time, we used one of my parents' old ones.  It had some weird sort of short in it making the horrible, obnoxious, beeping alarm sound every night at midnight whether it was set to be on or not!  Gahh!

  7. Willow sniffing my eye.  It's fairly disconcerting to wake up to an odd, tickling, blowing sensation on one of your eyelids!  It's even more disconcerting to then open your eyes and have a big, blurry kitten nose in your eye!

  8. Having no blankets or no sheets.  I'm just as guilty as Derek is on this one.  It's no fun to wake up cold without blankets, or for me it's even worse to wake up with blankets but no sheet!  There's definitely a texture difference between the two!

  9. Being too hot, or too cold.  Similar to #8, but this is when you have both your sheets and/or blanket and you're still waking up feeling uncomfortable.  It's especially bad when you have all the covers on and you're too hot.  You take them off, fall back asleep, and then wake up again, but this time you're too cold!

  10. Sleep talking... in a foreign language.  This one is more funny than annoying.  I actually kind of like it when Derek sleep talks because usually I make a mental note of what he says and I tell him what funny things he said the next morning.  Unless he's sleep talking in Korean or Japanese.  I know enough of each to tell the difference and just maybe at the time be able to tell what he's saying, but in my stupor of sleep I can't remember for the life of me the next morning.

5 comments:

  1. You forgot about nightmares!!! The worst! Especially when you can't discern between reality and dreamland.

    Did my husband really just drive a monster truck through the kitchen or was that a dream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hate being awakened regardless of the reason! Right now it's for Will to go to the potty, which I guess is better than the alternative...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi & Chris ReeveMay 26, 2009 at 4:49 PM

    Did derek give you my comment from your last post I wrote him on FB? For some reason blogger wouldn't let me comment this morning.

    I just wanted to say, wait until your baby comes 9am WILL be sleeping in! Man I wish I get sleep in until 7am, kids don't know the meaning of sleping in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, I can't think of a singe reason I would want to be woken up.

    Ok, if hubby just won a bunch of money, he could wake me up. Otherwise I am not the happiest camper when woken up in the middle of the night. Then again, it is almost never a good thing to be woken up.

    Oh, and I found you through OhAmanda's top 10

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good reasons not to be woken i the middle of the night. I wish for you a good night's rest. : ) Happy Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete