Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Way Back When Wednesday - Our First Kitten(s)

Just a couple months after Derek and I got married, I got a hankering for a pet.  At first I thought a rabbit would be great because we were living in Derek's parent's basement apartment.  I thought maybe a rabbit would have minimal mess?  Probably not.

One afternoon before an evening of my sister-in-law's bookgroup, Derek and I went to a pet store to check out the rabbits.  We didn't make it all the way to the rabbits because there was a cute little kitten that totally distracted us.

Since we lived in Derek's parent's basement (they didn't live there yet, they were still in VA), I told Derek that we should probably call them and ask if it was alright to have a kitten.  We guessed it probably would be okay because Derek grew up with a cat.  But it was time for me to go to the bookgroup so Derek was going to call and ask while I was gone.

And what a surprise I got when my sister-in-law and I got back to her house.  Derek had called and asked about getting a kitten, got a yes answer, and then bought the kitten!  He and his brother were sitting on the kitchen floor playing with her!  Fun times!

We named her Chloe and after a few weeks realized that she was lonely and got another kitten named Zoe.  Then we got another and named him George.  Unfortunately when we moved to Korea in '06, we weren't able to take them with us, and no one else was able to take care of them for us while we were gone.  We had to give them up for adoption at Lost Paws.  They're great!  But we were sure sad!

Me and Chloe just after we got her

No comments:

Post a Comment