Monday, October 27, 2008

Killer Soup




For dinner on Sunday, I made some pretty awesome soup and biscuits!  If I do say so myself. :) Derek even declared it to be his "new favorite soup!"  How exciting!  I even made it mostly from scratch.

Here's what I did.  You can try it if you want.  It's pretty darn easy.

1 can Minestrone Soup
1 can green beans
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can red kidney beans
Beef Broth to taste (I think I added the equivalent of 2-3 cans? I used the bullion cubes)
Water
2 cups of whole wheat penne pasta.
Some red pepper powder
Oregano
Garlic Salt

You can use fresh veges if you want.  I have before, I just didn't have any at the time.  The minestrone had carrots, celery and I think potatoes.  I would have added more to the soup, but sadly, I didn't have any of those either.  Oh, drain most of the liquids out of the cans or you'll have weird tasting soup.  Yuck!

Derek and I are HUGE fans of red pepper.  We picked it up in Korea. You don't have to put it in.  It's probably fine without it.  Just a little more boring.

Also, this "recipe" made copious amounts of soup.  At least it did for us.  There's only the two of us.  If your family's bigger, it probably would feed you just fine.  It made at least 6 regular sized servings, maybe more.

Another cool thing, I got all these ingredients out of my food storage!

So there you have it!  If you're lucky and ask really nicely, I'll post the recipe for my signature biscuits.  They turned out pretty well for that dinner too!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy and easy comfort food! Great for a snowy day like today here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy to make! And I did another variation of it with pan fried chicken and chicken broth instead of beef broth. It was great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for new stuff. Thanks!
    http://elislids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete