Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Way Back When Wednesday - Superman

From the time I was about 3 until maybe 5 years old, I loved Superman.  So much so that I even had my Mom make me a Superman cake for my 4th birthday.  AND I had Superman pajamas... with a detachable cape.

Don't ask me where I got this un-girlish obsession.  I didn't have a brother back then, he came later. 

It could have been from my neighbor, Steven.  He and I played quite a lot back then.  I'm not sure who started the Superman thing.  But I do remember arguing about which superman toy we would play with.  I had two.  One was more of an action figure with a clip on cape and knee joints!  The other was a clip on handle for a cup.  He always stood on the edge of a plastic, yellow circle with his legs about shoulder width apart and his arms straight out in front of him, his hands in fists. 

Can you guess which one I always played with?  Of course!  The much cooler, movable one! 

Then once I had more girl friends, and discovered Barbie, Ken (as seen in the picture), and all of Barbie's other friends and relatives, I kind of left Superman behind.  I mean really, how can Superman compete with someone who can change clothes and hairstyles? Superman can't always be dressed in his super-suit all the time, can he?

2 comments:

  1. Too cute you were! I think my Sophie is going to be like that. She's my "boy", but still pretty girly when it comes right down to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cute! I grew up with sisters so I never played with action figures. But I had to laugh yeasterday at cub scouts Faith was playing with her wooden bear with clothes (like paper dolls just made out of wood with magnets). When the boys came, they all just started playing with her and her dolls. Very cute. Thanks for your encouragement also and I wasn't offended yesterday, I think I was just so out of it that you could have saud anythign and I wouldn't have noticed.

    ReplyDelete