Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thankful Thursday

I don't know if I say it enough.  Maybe I do, and you're all tired of hearing it.  I am so thankful to be married to an amazing handyman husband!

When I was looking for Mr. Right, I didn't think put "handy around the house" on the checklist.  I thought that just came with the man package.  You see, my Dad is super handy.  He's an engineer and LOVES to make things.  Especially things that make his family members' lives easier.  We haven't lived in a house yet that he hasn't built shelves in, and he did numerous home improvements to our home in North Carolina to help out my Mom.  But that's enough about my Mom's Mr. Right.  Suffice it to say, I thought "handy-ness" was natural came naturally to men.

So as we adjusted to life together, I could tell he was really good at home improvement type work, but I sort of took it for granted.  It wasn't until a few years in to our marriage that I realized that not all men are as good as my man is with tools. 

So now I'm especially grateful for his talents.  Grateful because those talents can bring home the bacon.  And grateful because he LOVES to be a handyman!  He absolutely loves to go to work!  At one point, while he was working on a bathroom remodel, he turned to me and said something like, "I really want to go back and work some more.  Not because I need to go back to meet a dead line, but because I'm really having fun!"

I've also caught him a few times day dreaming about tile!  How cute is that!  He's so lucky to have found a line of work that he loves and daydreams about.  I mean, how many of you daydream about your job while you're not there?

I love you Derek!  I promise I won't call you anymore cutesy pet names from across the store in Home Depot!

1 comment:

  1. My dad was always handy too, so I also assumed that was normal. Thankfully Jeff is pretty handy and can get things done. My brother in law on the other hand is a whole different guy. He can't do anything to save his life and he knows it.

    ReplyDelete